I could not have asked for a better start to the school year! I think that the kids at Sandburg Middle are great. As the school year progresses, I know I will have a better understanding of my students' abilities; but as the first week comes to an end, I feel confident in my preassessments. I have had students complete a few informal writing assignments (where I don't even think they realize how much they end up writing). Yesterday and today have been/will be spent on informal reading assessments. Below are a list of activities completed:
1. "I Am" Survey -- this survey is to be filled out using a number of adjectives that describe the student.
2. "Soundtrack to Your Life" -- this survey involved students selecting 11 songs that they could relate to (through some type of connection). They had to write at least 2 sentences that explained how these songs applied to them.
3. "Interview & Bio" -- this activity involved students devising an 11-question survey to ask another student in the class. Once they complete their interviews, they had to write a mini-biography of their classmate.
The stories used for the informal reading assessments were/are:
1. Gary Soto's: Seventh Grade
2. Anna Quindlen's: Melting Pot
Next week, we are going to being working on the first unit: Narrative. We will be reading a collection of short stories, and each student will finish the novel, Touching Spirit Bear.
** I am trying to upload the lesson plans and agendas I have used with my students. If anyone knows how to do that, please let me know!**
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment