Tuesday, August 19, 2008

2008-2009 School Year

As last year progressed, I found myself falling behind in my posts. I am hoping that with my new position, I will be able to find new energy to continually blog my efforts to reinforce literacy strategies in my English Language Arts classes. This year, I am transitioning to a seventh grade classroom in the Fairfax County Public Schools district. I am hoping that my efforts in the D.C. Public Schools system were not fruitless, and will lead me to make as much of an impact with my students this year.

Last year, I was able to complete almost the full Elements of Literature text book, in addition with the three novels: The Pearl, Things Fall Apart, To Kill a Mockingbird, and one play: Romeo and Juliet. I made a 50-page anticipation guide for R&J; and, it helped the students work their way through the play by combining Sustained Silent Reading (SSR) with Read Alouds and process drama routines made through group-oriented projects. I plan on using the tactics used last year, which took my students from teacher-centered readings (The Pearl) to the aforementioned lessons used during our Shakespeare unit.

Teaching middle school will bring a new list of challenges, I'm sure, but I am looking forward to working with a new staff and a new group of students!

No comments: