Touching Spirit Bear will be the first novel that is taught to my students during the school year. I have already read the novel and have created an anticipation guide for my students, which includes activities centered on the introduction of the novel, and each chapter in Part I of the novel. Because the curriculum uses only Part I, I decided that my final project for the novel will include each of my students creating their own version of the ending of Touching Spirit Bear: Will Cole go back to the island (anyone who's read the novel knows that he does), Will he be reformed, Will he interact with the Spirit Bear again? Students will be able to pose their own questions and answer them in the form of a story.
I plan to use this tactic as a way to introduce (formal) writing into the course. The writing process can easily be used throughout this exercise, as can the active writing guide used by my school.
I will try to update this by providing information on how the students work with Touching Spirit Bear and all of the assignments detailed in the unit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment